Book for a newbie

Discuss anything related to quantitative finance which is not directly connected to a particular book here.

Book for a newbie

Postby Jade » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi Mark,

I am a newbie to Mathematical Finance. I just brought your book "The Concepts and Practice of Mathematical Finance". First, do I need to read Hull before I start reading your book? I don't want to waste money on buying lots of books explaining the same concepts. I want one solid book to start my journey into world of Mathematical Finance. I do have decent background in Probability theory and Calculus

Second, is your second book 'More Mathematical Finance' intertwined with your first book to get an deeper overview of Mathematical finance as a subject or can I skip your second book before I start my Master in Financial Engineering program

Jade
Jade

Re: Book for a newbie

Postby mj » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:25 am

My second book is a sequel to the first one -- useful but not essential.

Some people like my first book straight off. Some don't. A lot depends on background. If you have done a lot of maths or similar you should be fine with it. If not, you may need something easier eg Neftci or Wilmott.
mj
Site Admin

Re: Book for a newbie

Postby Jade » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:04 pm

Thanks Mark for the reply

I liked your writing style so much that I could not stop myself from ordering the sequel.

I am in the third chapter of the first book and enjoying it.

By the way, what should be the mathematical prerequisite to get most out of your books? I saw your recommended list, but it is too long. Any suggestion on two to three mathematics books that would help me get most of your books.
Jade

Return to General technical discussion