Recombining trees

Discuss anything related to quantitative finance which is not directly connected to a particular book here.

Recombining trees

Postby memonasif » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:40 pm

Hi Dr Joshi
I have been working on your paper Acheiving Higher Order convergence for the prices of European options in Binomial trees.
While proving corollary 3.3 about final layer how can we find all the nodes in the final layer by moving up or down from the central node.
Plz guide me in this regard.
Moreover how can we say that in the final layer the total number of nodes will be even in case of recombining trees defined for odd number of steps.
kindly guide.
memonasif

Re: Recombining trees

Postby mj » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 pm

the number of nodes in the final layer is the number of steps +1
mj
Site Admin

Postby memonasif » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:29 am

Ok I got it. but what about the nodes in the final layer which you say in the paper can be found by moving up or down from the central node in the previous layer.How can we get all the nodes in the final layer by moving up or down from the central node in the previous layer.
Please guide me in this regard.
Moreover what do you mean by the trees are centred on K(Strike Price).
memonasif

Postby mj » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:55 am

if you allow several moves you can get to all the nodes in the final layer from the middle one on the previous layer.
mj
Site Admin

Postby memonasif » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:35 am

Well, Dr Mark Joshi could you please let me know what do you mean by the trees are centred on K(Strike Price).
either you mean that in each time steps the central node will be equal to the strike price K or you mean something else.
plz guide.
memonasif

Postby memonasif » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:44 am

mj wrote:if you allow several moves you can get to all the nodes in the final layer from the middle one on the previous layer.

But Dr if we take T=5, then the central node in the time step 4 will be S(u^2d^2). Now from this node we can either go up or down.
If we go up we will get S(u^3d^2) and if we go down we will get S(u^2d^3).
What about the nodes like S(u^5), S(u^4d), s(ud^4) and s(d^5).
since we have T=5 (Time steps) so there will be 6 nodes, and from the central node in the previous layer we get only 2 nodes, what about the rest 4 nodes.

please help.
memonasif

Postby Jacob555 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:24 am

The way to approach multi-period binomial option pricing models is to figure out the stock and option prices in the latest period and work backward from there using any and all the formulas introduced in Sections 15 through 18. :(
Jacob555

Return to General technical discussion