Exercise 8.11

This forum is to discuss the book "the concepts and practice of mathematical finance" by Mark Joshi.

Exercise 8.11

Postby MattT » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:56 am

Hi Mark,

Perhaps I have misunderstood question 8.11 (comparing prices of out-of-the-money American and European digital calls when r =0, asset price follows BM). Please tell me where I am going wrong:

I assume you mean W_t is standard BM, so by risk-neutral pricing, at time t, the European digital has price E(1_{W_T >= K } | F_t ), which by some simple computation and facts about such conditional expectations is just E(1_{W_T >= K} | W_t = x) = P( N(x, sqrt(T-t) ) >= K ) where N(x, sigma) is used to denote a normal random variable with mean x, variance sigma^2. We're assuming that spot is out-of the money, so x < K, in which case this probability is < 0.5.

On the other hand, the price of the digital is E(1_{M_T} >= K | F_t ) and if the spot had previously gone above K, then this value is obviously 1. So I don't make the price of the European being half the price of the American. I get this only when we assume spot is *at-the-money*.

Thanks.
MattT

Re: Exercise 8.11

Postby mj » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:48 am

if the American pays off then at some point t in (0,T) S_t =K. There is then a precisely 50% chance that S_T > S_t = K so the probability
that European pays off given the American does is 0.5.

So its price is half that of the American one.
mj
Site Admin

Postby MattT » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:49 am

Ok...I think we are saying exactly the same thing. At time t, when S_t = K I had the same conclusion that the price of the European is half the American.

What I was saying is, if then at some later time s, T > s > t, spot moves out-of-the-money for the European, i.e. S_s < K, the European price will not be half the American price, as the probability at time s that the European pays off is certainly less than 0.5, whilst the American still has value 1.

(I'm assuming this is a digital American as you define at the end of the chapter where the payoff is received at the expiry time. I suppose if you assume that the American is settled at time t, then this latter consideration is irrelevant.)
MattT

Postby mj » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:05 am

whilst that is true, I don't see what it has to do with the problem! we are pricing before the
American is triggered.
mj
Site Admin

Postby MattT » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:10 am

Ahh...I see. I had interpreted "out-of-the-money" to mean spot price is < K (but that the American may or may not have already been triggered) so was considering the two cases. All is clear now! Thanks.
MattT

Return to The concepts and practice of mathematical finance