Prerequisites

This forum is to discuss the book "the concepts and practice of mathematical finance" by Mark Joshi.

Prerequisites

Postby skissa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:39 am

My math background is a little lacking compared to the typical quant and I would like to inquire as to whether it is sufficient to attempt working through this book. I come from an economics backround, having studied a ba in economics from newcastle university, and thus I have taken the following (not very rigorous) math courses: Mathematics for Economics, Probability and stats for economics, Empirical Economic Analysis, and a fairly more rigorous Econometric Analysis. I have also later covered a year's worth of a typical calculus course for engineers. Moroever, I am currently enroled in the CQF and have thus taken their math primer which covers differential equations, calculus, linear algebra, and probability, as well as some numerical methods, etc. I would like to read this book to supplement the core reading material of the cqf and would thus seek your guidance on whether I fullfill the prerequisites for this.
Kind Regards
skissa

Re: Prerequisites

Postby harrychamp » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:12 pm

I would say the book is very self-contained. It develops the maths when necessary. The further reading at the end allows you to delve into the topic if you so desire. I think (personal opinion) the objective of the book is to articulate the ideas behind the formulae rather than hammering through all the technical details. Mathematical ability wasn't an issue when reading the book for me despite the fact I am pretty weak myself. I think understanding the reasoning behind what is happening is key.
harrychamp

Postby skissa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Thank you very much. Do you think that Salih Neftci's book would be a good companion for this book or is it too basic?
skissa

Postby skissa » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:46 pm

by Neftci I mean introduction to the mathematics of financial derivatives...
skissa

Postby mj » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:05 am

I tend to find that those with a strong maths/physics background like concepts as a first book.
Those who don't, often prefer Neftci or something similar.
mj
Site Admin

Postby skissa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:33 pm

Thank you :)
skissa

Return to The concepts and practice of mathematical finance