Constructor in Antithetic.cpp (Ch 6)

This forum is to discuss the book "C++ design patterns and derivatives pricing."

Constructor in Antithetic.cpp (Ch 6)

Postby fmincon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:35 am

Question about the initialization of the constructor in Antithetic.cpp:

Code: Select all
AntiThetic::AntiThetic(const Wrapper<RandomBase>& innerGenerator )
            : RandomBase(*innerGenerator),
              InnerGenerator(innerGenerator)

Do you mind explaining
RandomBase(*innerGenerator)
?

From a most basic perspective, I'm having trouble understanding the syntax, because I thought in the initialization of a constructor, the statements that come after the single colon were always in the form of some
private_member(argument for private_member)
, but RandomBase isn't explicitly a private member of Antithetic, but it's the wrapper type. After reading the top paragraph on page 97 of your book, I am still confused as how this line works. (and what happens if you leave it out?) Also, the way the parameter
const Wrapper<RandomBase>& innerGenerator
is defined requires the argument innerGenerator to be of class type RandomBase, hence when
is called, I'm assuming this is just calling a default copy constructor that wasn't explicitly implemented in the original Random2.h... is this line of reasoning correct?

Last but not least, at the end of Chapter 6 when the driver file RandomMain3.cpp is run, an AntiThetic object called GenTwo with argument of type RandomParkMiller called generator is fed into a SimpleMonteCarlo6 object, which invokes the method
GetGaussians(VariateArray)
. Since the AntiThetic class doesn't have a GetGaussians method, it just uses the one supplied by its base class RandomBase right?

Thank you!
fmincon

Re: Constructor in Antithetic.cpp (Ch 6)

Postby fmincon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Oh I think I figured it out. So I forgot that AntiThetic is an inherited class under RandomBase, hence when it is initialized, its parent class also needs to be initialized, especially in this case since RandomBase has a private data member Dimensionality which needs to be fed by the innerGenerator argument. So, when the code
is run, the default copy class constructor of RandomBase copies the unsigned long Dimensionality private member for the AntiThetic instance being generated. I assume that innerGenerator is a wrapped pointer in this case only because we make it so with the parameter being
const Wrapper<RandomBase>& innerGenerator
because in the driver file RandomMain3.cpp, the object being fed into the parameter is just a RandomParkMiller object that isn't wrapped (more specifically, it's the pointer of a RandomParkMiller object).
fmincon

Re: Constructor in Antithetic.cpp (Ch 6)

Postby mj » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:15 am

that's right.

More generally, any member or base can be initialized in the initializer list by using any of its constructors including default compiler
provided ones.
mj
Site Admin

Return to C++ design patterns and derivatives pricing