interview questions

Discuss all those difficult questions here.

Postby gm.gm » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:51 am

Hi sargon,

Forgive the naive question, but when does one apply for a quant internship?

Let me clarify - as an undergraduate, a lot of my friends did summer internships at investment banks (not quant roles). The timing was precise: you had to do it the summer before you graduated, with the prospect that you may get a job starting the following summer.

Now I'm doing my PhD (physics), and I'm considering quant jobs after I finish (still 2 years off). An internship would probably be a good idea, but when do I do it? Obviously it would take a lot of time to learn all the material, and the PhD is keeping my pretty busy (not to mention taking time off during a full-time PhD is not straight forward), so when do people do quant internships?

So I guess what I am asking is this: do you have to do an internship while you are still a student, or can you do it whenever? Is it common/possible to simply take "time off" after the PhD to "study" for the interview? Do people normally juggle and do both, getting an internship before they finish?

Sorry for the long post and best of luck to you!

gm
gm.gm

Postby sargon » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:41 pm

I see what you are saying, I was in the same boat. Most internships are in the summer, and PhD students take off during that time. Typically, schools have such arrangements to let the grad students do an internship in the summer.
One thing you could try is to get a short internship, like 10weeks or so, and back that up with working part time (~5 hrs per week) once you come back. It would give you experience, a name to put on your resume, and also contacts. It worked out pretty well for me.
sargon

questions from interview for summer internship

Postby korn » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:18 pm

1) Stoch. calc.
You are given a process dX_t = t * dB_t ; X_0 = 0
P(X_T > A) = ?
B_t is BM ; A - const

2) Teams A and B play football
the probability of A winning in any single game is 40%
There are two possiblilities: to play 3 out of 5 or 2 out of 3
Which one is prefered by team A?

The intuition using trees structures was asked.

3) Calculate derivative:

d/dx of F(x^2)^-1 evaluated at x = 1/(2)^0.5
where ^-1 means inversed function
F(y) - is an error function or df of standart normal
korn

Previous

Return to Interview questions