Second Major (or specialization)

Which courses are worthwhile, express your opinion here.

Second Major (or specialization)

Postby wstprof » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:15 am

Hi everyone, I am a Math major and I had to choose my specialization area pretty soon. Between Physics & CS which one is more preferable than the other (for admission and career wise)?

Even if I do a Physics specialization I would still be able to take a few programming courses from the CS dept, so that won't be a problem.

OTHER INFO:
1) I am going to apply to graduate programs in Fin Math(and related areas like Operations Research, Fin Eng).
2) Possible CS courses include - C, Python, Algorithms, Computability Theory, Logic and I am allowed to take higher level courses like Logspace Computation, Verification Theory, Complexity Theory, etc,.; For Physics - Classical, Quantum, Statistical Mechanics, Electromagnetism and I am allowed to take higher level courses like QFT and such if I am interested.
3) In Math, I have taken courses up to Measure Theory now and I have planned to take Functional Analysis and Compact Riemann Surfaces (if I can manage).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
wstprof

Re: Second Major (or specialization)

Postby mj » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:05 am

well quants with physics backgrounds tend to like to hire quants with physics backgrounds...

On the other hand, an awful lot of what a quant does is coding, so a greater depth of understanding of algorithsm and coding is useful
mj
Site Admin

Re: Second Major (or specialization)

Postby wstprof » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:43 am

Thanks for your reply Sir.
wstprof

Return to Courses