Unimelb Science Student

Which courses are worthwhile, express your opinion here.

Unimelb Science Student

Postby elv0816 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Dear Professor Joshi:

I'm a third year bachelor student major in Applied Mathematics/Statistics of Melbourne uni.
Before I choose to ask you my questions, I did some research.

As I know, there are a few excellent actuarial students did Financial Math Ph.D in Melbourne Uni. I saw one's average grade is 91 on Linkedin.
It's really a high grade. However, my average grade is only about 82~85, Math Subjects' grades are about 85~89. I realise that I'm not such good like them.
I hope I can find a job in Melbourne after I graduate, otherwise, I may go to Sydney.

Here is my questions:

1/Is there any chance for me to do a Ph.D in Financial Math at Melbourne Uni? If yes, what should I do for my Master Degree?

2/Mather of Financial Mathematics in UNSW vs Master of Applied Mathematics/Statistics in UniMelb, which one is better choice for doing a Financial Math Ph.D after graduate?

3/Does a quant need much statistics knowledge?

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Leo
elv0816

Re: Unimelb Science Student

Postby mj » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:02 am

basically it comes down to convincing a supervisor and doing what they want.

Have you talked to anyone in the math dept eg Borovkov?
You could also talk to Klebaner at Monash if you want to stay in Melbourne.

Demand for me as a supervisor always vastly exceeds supply so I apply a very harsh filter.

The UTS program is not so hard to get into and you could try talking to people there. eg Schlogl

There are lots of sorts of quants some know lots of stats, some know hardly any.
mj
Site Admin

Return to Courses