Bloomberg Assessment Test?

Which courses are worthwhile, express your opinion here.

Bloomberg Assessment Test?

Postby wlfgngpck » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Prof Joshi,

I recently received an email from the business school at UCLA about the Bloomberg Assessment Test being held, and intended for those who are serious about getting into finance. I've never heard of this test and it looks fairly general (not specific to derivatives pricing at all).

Since I've been following your program up to this point, I wondered if you knew anything about this test? Is it something I should consider taking, or would it be worthwhile to take? There doesn't seem to be much information on it except from the exam's website and a few opinions here and there.

The website, if you're interested, is here:

https://www.bloomberginstitute.com/bat/start/

Thanks so much!
wlfgngpck

Re: Bloomberg Assessment Test?

Postby mj » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:00 pm

i haven't heard of it before. I'd be interested in hearing how you go,
mj
Site Admin

Postby wlfgngpck » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Test was last Friday, just got the results today. I'm responding since you said you'd be interested.

The test isn't really much in the way of derivatives pricing; it seems more like a test that undergraduates interested in general finance would want to take. The exam had 11 sections:

Financial Markets, which is about the only place where derivatives came up
Economics
Investment Banking
Corporate Valuation
Financial Statements Analysis
Investment Management
Analytical Reasoning (basically this is a logic section, similar to the kinds of logic questions one might find on the LSAT)
Verbal Skills (basically reading comprehension)
Math Skills
Situational Judgement (this section was funny....basically it describes a situation and asks you to decide what you're most likely and least likely to do)
Modeling skills (this had some derivatives stuff too.....an example might be that someone is long a bunch of call options in something and the underlying experiences a crash or something like that, and they ask if this is positive or negative for your portfolio)

Overall, I did well in Analytical Reasoning, Verbal Skills, Math Skills (although I actually missed a couple of questions in math....terrible!), Financial Markets, and Economics. I did so-so in situational judgement and investment banking (I was slightly above average for both). And I did very poorly (relative to the average) on corporate valuation, financial statements analysis, and investment management. I also did poor relative to the average on modelling, but I care less about that as there was only 5 questions so missing one causes a huge jump. On average people missed one, I missed two.

Anyways, for those interested in quant stuff this is probably not an exam that's for you, but it was fun to take. It seems like I did well on the sections I should've done well on (except modelling), and did poorly on the sections I should've done poorly on.
wlfgngpck

Postby mj » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:44 pm

thanks
mj
Site Admin

Return to Courses