Melbourne Uni student

Which courses are worthwhile, express your opinion here.

Melbourne Uni student

Postby lucyjg » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:48 am

Hi Professor Joshi

I am a Melbourne Uni student and have just finished my first year in BCom with an Actuarial Studies major. I have been doing some research about quants, but it is a bit difficult to get a clear idea as everything seems to vary a bit depending on the country. I was just wondering whether it would be possible to get a job as a quant after finishing a BCom with honours? According to some of the articles I have read, sometimes the top actuarial students are poached by banks to become quants. Is this at all true? I got a 94 in Intro to Actuarial Studies and 88 in Accelerated Maths 2 - do you think my expectations are reasonable? (Please, be brutally honest!)

But if just doing BCom with Hons is completely out of the question, what further study at Melbourne Uni would be most useful - is a PhD required, or would a Master of Applied Finance also be appropriate?

Thanks very much for your time.
lucyjg

Re: Melbourne Uni student

Postby mj » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:31 am

The normal route into quant for melbourne actuarial students is to do a PhD after a BCom Hons. a few people have done this in recent years.
mj
Site Admin

Return to Courses