self preparation-software development to quant development

How to get your first job? post your questions and stories here.

self preparation-software development to quant development

Postby scube » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 pm

hi,
I came to know about this forum from Mark Joshi's article "on becoming a Quant".

I want to get into the role of Quant developer.

My Qualification/Skills and current job details are as,

1. currently working as a Software Developer (Worked in Corporate and Retail Banking projects)
2. Graduation in Mathematics and Statistics ( I can give myself 8 out of 10 for maths skills like differential equations and stuff...)
3. My Financial Knowledge is limited up to doing the Stocks trading in Stock market :). Well I understand few other terminologies as well.

My questions/requests are,

1. Please mention the books list for my criteria in the order of study to gain the knowledge/skills required to get a job as Quant developer
2. I wonder how much time frame needed for a guy like me to develop a simple Trading platform based on this preparation

Thanks
scube

Re: self preparation-software development to quant development

Postby scube » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:29 pm

Hi,
Sorry Now I read the Books page on this website where Mark gives the list of books in the order of study for each category. As a beginner in this field I guess I better start with the Mark's book "The Concepts and Practice of Mathematical Finance".
Mark please tell me I am correct. :)

But one question is how much depth an aspiring Qunat Programmer has to read these Quantitative finance books? Do we need to cover everthing like other Quant Professionals?
scube

Postby mj » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:26 am

quant developers vary a lot. Some effectively quants. Some know very little finance. the more you know the more marketable you are.

I think my book is a good place to start but you may find it too hard in which case try something easier... eg Shreve Volume 1

My books and article are mainly aimed at derivatives pricing. There is room for other sorts of developer quant eg statistical arbitrage where
the emphasis is completely different.
mj
Site Admin

Postby scube » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply and your valuable suggestion.

I already started reading your book and so far so good (well I am still reading that Risk chapter until now it is cool).

Do you please give those different sub sections of the quant developers exist. It will be very helpful to have that knowledge.

Thanks
scube

Return to Getting a first job