Answering Question never seen before

How to get your first job? post your questions and stories here.

Answering Question never seen before

Postby ram1234 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Dear prof Joshi and others
I and my friends have come across questions few times in quant type interviews which we had never seen before.For ex
1.Write pseudocode to do Knight's tour on a 8*8 chessboard.
2.in O(N) complexity achieve the goal of finding two equal elements among N elements(N-2 distinct and Biggest element >N and smallest <0 ).
etc. My question is may be it is someone's mistake not to be aware of these kind of standard problems.But if one is not aware of these then without hints it's difficult to achieve this in an interview.
1.So do all the successful quants(successful in interviews ) answers smartly questions they hav never encountered before ?
2.Any advice for any exercise books or any thing else apart from Prof Joshi's Interview Book to work out on especially two areas puzzles and probabilities.. relevant to quant interviews , probability I mean the RWs and those relevant to quant potential interview questions , not stochastic calculus.

Thanks
ram1234

Re: Answering Question never seen before

Postby hukkatout » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm

These are pretty basic algorithm questions, the knight one you can solve with either recurrsion or dynamic programming and the search one is also really simple.
You can check out s/w interview books like Cracking the coding interview.

-Hukka
hukkatout

Postby ram1234 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:17 pm

My question was not about answering these questions.It was regarding whether a successful quant has so much innate intelligence that he solves questions in interviews he has not seen before or he is so much aware and thorough in different areas by practice ??So to improve one should practice(of course intelligently ) as much or at the end it's some kinda real sharpness that counts ??
ram1234

Postby hukkatout » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:06 am

Well I cannot reply about the quant field but since your questions were mostly software related hence I responded.
For software positions in the start ups in the bay area and even big companies
like FB, twitter, amazon and so forth the good s/w hires are EXPECTED to come up with working solutions to unknown problems.
That is why I keep changing the questions every 3 months since more or less in 3 month time frame it is posted in some internet forum
and the answers are common knowledge. The logic being if the guy cannot handle unknown problems he is not meeting the bar.

Guys from the quant field can answer what specifically happens in the quant field. I will also be interested in the answer.

-Hukka
hukkatout

Postby mj » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:08 am

I think that you are expected to be able to anwer questions you haven't seen before. However, having seen similar questions before often helps. Often it's about how much help you needed rather
than whether you can do it without any help.
mj
Site Admin

Return to Getting a first job