Job Vs Postdoc

How to get your first job? post your questions and stories here.

Job Vs Postdoc

Postby zebullon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:26 am

Hi.
Something I've been pondering , and would enjoy some thoughts.

I recently finished my PhD in a rather technical topic, exotic options and distributed computation. I have 4 papers. The papers are not the best papers out there, but they are decent. Anyhow, I was unsuccessful at finding a related job (quant). I guess that my PhD was not that great technically speaking and I also am fairly terrible at interviewing.
To have some alternative, I applied for a postdoc scholarship along the way and will get it with some high probability.
And, recently, I landed a summer internship as a developer in a large financial software company, nice, but it's coding alllll the way...

There goes my question: I like doing maths, I like stochastic calculus, probability theory. I may improve my technical skillset by doing a postdoc but I will end up around 35 y.o, without major workplace experience and no guaranty that I stop sucking at interviews... so it's a long shot, but it's related to what I enjoy. On the other hand I could just rock the internship and probably get a job offer at the hand (I suck at interviews, but I'm fairly decent on a day to day basis), it's well paid, stable and I don't hate coding, but, there is no maths involved...

I would take any pointers , 2 cents
Thanks
zebullon

Re: Job Vs Postdoc

Postby mj » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:07 am

well my view would be to decide where you want to be and take the option that's on the path to it. Postdoccing after 30 strikes me as unwise unless you want to be an academic.
mj
Site Admin

Re: Job Vs Postdoc

Postby zebullon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:49 am

Thanks
I would be going into academic only to build my technical background further, but in the end I think it would not balance my lack of experience and , well my age too...
so it seems better to not postpone further it seems.

... is pretty much the conclusion I came too ;)
zebullon

Return to Getting a first job