Asset management

Which courses are worthwhile, express your opinion here.

Asset management

Postby marty7 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:06 pm

Hello Mark

I have completed an MSc in Mathematics, and am currently in the process of selecting a course in finance for my further studies. I am interested in a career in asset management, particularly in hedge funds. My question is: Which course would be most suitable for such a goal: Quant finance, MSc finance, financial engineering (or maybe something else?), considering the relevance of the coursework to the field and employability?

Thanks & regards
marty7

Re: Asset management

Postby mj » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:36 am

most financial engineering degrees focus more on derivatives pricing than portfolio theory.

So a general finance degree or a quantitative finance degree which deemphasizes derivatives would be more suitable.
mj
Site Admin

Postby marty7 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:33 pm

Thanks for the response Mark.

I have another question. I am looking at breaking into finance in Singapore/Hong Kong. In order to do this, I am considering doing an MFE/ MSc Finance course. In your opinion, which are the best courses in the region (including Australia)?

Thanks again.
marty7

Postby mj » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:38 am

The one I generally recommend in Australia is the UTS one.
mj
Site Admin

Postby syed20 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:25 am

Circumstances of life: I discovered your forum yesterday night and had no idea who you were. Before going to bed I picked up the book on distributions theory I'm reading these days and I saw your name on it: it's a book you co authored w Friedlander. I just couldn't believe the coincidence :-)
sultan
syed20

Return to Courses