Please, help me to project a multi-year education programme,

How to get your first job? post your questions and stories here.

Please, help me to project a multi-year education programme,

Postby roccodifilippo » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:06 am

I am Rocco, a 19 years-old Italian student, now I am attending the first year of Civil Engineering course at University.

One of my dream is working in finance, due to a natural passion and moved by a certain greediness....South of Italy is not an Heaven.

I am studying Engineering because my Father has a little projecting society but I don't like to put all eggs in the same sack.

I have made a lot of researchs but now I believe to be in the right place to obtain some information.....

Like I can understand a role in the quantitative analysis let to make more money than a role in "normal" analysis.......correct me if I am wrong.

However I have decided to do CFA (it's not very expensive), to try to reach the third level, In the next year I will study in UK thank to Erasmus Programme, it can help to develop my language-skill and to know better the atmosphere.

First Question:
-What can a Third-level CFA guarantee about entry-level salary, stability, career development?

I know that It's a bit OT but I will pleased to list your opinion and experiences.

Second Question:
-What can an ACCA guarantee about entry-level salary, stability, career development?

Third Question:
-CFQ is really expensive also If I don't want to attend courses (like I will do for CFA)? And what can you say about its importance?

Fourth Question:
-GreMath an G-Mat are valid instruments to impressionate recruiters?I have a certain talent for math.....maybe I hpe so...

Fifth Question:
-I believe that an MFE is more useful than a PhD to get a good entry level job.....am I wrong?PhD is too long.....but an MFE is really expensive (maybe I can search for a scolarship or a sponsor?)

Sixth Question:
-MFE vs MBA......but I cannot permit myself to go to Oxford, Harvard, Cambridge etc. In Financial Times Mba world-ranking is written that a Top University (Oxford, Harvard, Cambridge) can easily offer an average salary of $ 150,000 (really good).....but I don't have so much money to pay these type of courses....so: with no much money to spent, MFE can outperform an MBA, in terms of salary offered, or not?

Seventh Question:
-Can you write if there is a diploma to certificate good C++ skills?It can be useful?

Eighth Question:
-I need absolutely indication to try to do an Internship, I know that they are useful!Can someone help?

Nineth Question:
-MFE+CFA+eventually CFQ+ a good score in GreMath and GMat + no experience, how much can I obtain by first salary?In London?In NYC?
I know 50,000 puond or 100,000 dollar (tell me if with bonuses or not).....but how many possibilities (you can answer also in terms of percentage) there are to reach 300,000-500,000 dollar or 150,000-250,000 pounds after the famous "five year"?

Thanks for your time!!!!!!
I will really appreciate every written words.
roccodifilippo

Postby mj » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:52 am

1) quants generally dont do the CFA
2) no idea
3) the CQF is generally done by people already working for banks with the bank paying the fees, it can be useful for improving your skill set
4) never heard of anyone looking at this
5) Phds tend to get the better quant jobs
6) do an MBA if you want to be a generalist, do an MFE if you want to be a quant
7) learn C++ but don't focus on certificates
8) a lot of quants with about 5 years experience make on the order of 200k pounds.

My advice is focus more on being really good at maths and engineering and less on collecting lots of qualifications.
mj
Site Admin

Postby roccodifilippo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:21 am

mj wrote:
My advice is focus more on being really good at maths and engineering and less on collecting lots of qualifications.

Thanks for your advice....really useful.

:wink:

Abuot CFQ, doing it ( for example during the PHD) can give more opportunity at the end of the school? Maybe can demostrate knowledge about quant world.....isn't it?

Can you indicate me how can I get some infromation about Internship for students?A guide, a forum.....

:wink:
roccodifilippo

Postby mj » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:57 pm

re other forums, there's a list on my website

Re the CQF i wouldnt recommend doing this unless you can get someone else to pay...
mj
Site Admin

Postby roccodifilippo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:27 am

mj wrote:re other forums, there's a list on my website

Re the CQF i wouldnt recommend doing this unless you can get someone else to pay...

Very clear..... thanks.
roccodifilippo

Re: Please, help me to project a multi-year education programme,

Postby korenex » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:42 am

What is the difference between these two MBA programs? Does anyone know the difference between a Strategic MBA and a Global MBA? The school I am applying for has both but I don't know the differences? Please help me out here so I don't apply for the wrong one. Thank you.

Return to Getting a first job